Tuesday 16 November 2010

New Jay Electronica track - with added Jigga

Ever since the incomparable David Cano, via one of his rants about how I don't know anything about music, introduced me to Jay Electronica, it's fair to say I've become a bit of a fanboy. As with many rappers, following him on Twitter is often a bit hit and miss, but his music is seriously incredible - his style is literate, melliflous and punchy, and the sampling is impeccable. There hasn't been an album yet, but supposedly there's one coming out next year - I just hope it's better than the new song he leaked yesterday. It's called "Shiny Suit Theory" and has features a verse from Jay-Z. The beat is part classic 90s-jazz-sample, part half-baked show tune, and when J-Hova comes in with his bit I immediately kind of lost interest. Jay's on better form though, his lyrics as thoughtful and inspired as always ("I pack all my sins and I wear em to the show and let'em go, let'em go, let'em go"). It's not spectacular or anything, but it might well grow on me (especially Jay-Z's verse which has got some decent lines). Have a listen.

EDIT: According to his Jay's Twitter, this is a segment of a 7-minute long song that also features Charlotte Gainsbourg. Really bringing out the big guns, huh? 

Jay Electronica - Shiny Suit Theory feat. Jay Z & The Dream by GlobalGrind

No comments:

Post a Comment